How often should you wash your towels? This is a question that many people have, and the answer may surprise you. According to the experts, you should not be washing your towels every time they are used.
In fact, if you follow these guidelines, your towels will last much longer!
Background on the importance of proper towel care
Having clean, fresh towels is a given in any home or commercial setting. Towels can harbor bacteria, mold, and mildew if they aren't properly cared for and cleaned correctly.
It's essential to launder towels on a regular basis using hot water and proper detergents. Homeowners should consider adding sanitizing agents and fabric softeners to their wash cycles to reduce the likelihood of microbial growth while keeping them soft.
Additionally, it's important to dry towels quickly after use and hang them neatly on hooks or bars so air can properly circulate around them between uses.
By taking these steps, we can be sure that fresh, clean towels will last longer and remain safe for use.
General Guidelines for Washing Towels
- Towels should be washed at least once a week in hot water for sanitization purposes, as well as to keep them smelling fresh and stain-free.
- For households with multiple people sharing towels, it’s recommended to wash them more often — particularly bath towels — depending on usage levels.
- It’s best to avoid using the same towel multiple times in a row, especially if someone is ill or has sensitive skin.
- To make sure towels stay clean and soft between washes, consider hanging them up neatly on hooks or bars and airing them out completely before re-using them.
How to Care For and Maintain Your Towels
- Wash towels in hot water and with a good detergent that is designed for washing laundry, as well as a fabric softener if needed.
- Dry towels completely before storing them — either hang them up to air-dry or use the tumble dryer (on low heat) to make sure they’re completely dry.
- Store towels neatly and in a way that allows for adequate air circulation to help reduce the chance of bacteria, mold, or mildew growth.
When it comes to your towels, proper care and cleaning are essential for longevity and safety. Follow the guidelines outlined above to ensure that your towels remain fresh and clean between washes.
Doing so will help to keep them looking great, smelling delicious, and lasting longer!